The history of Ala-ud-Din Academy, Girls’ High School can be traced from 1901, when a small informal school was set up by the women of Mian family for imparting education to the girls of Baghbanpura, Lahore. Now, over a century later, the school is one of the oldest and largest private institutions in the area of Baghbanpura, Lahore, Pakistan. It caters to the educational needs of students from kindergarten to the secondary level. Following are some of the historical highlights of the School:
“Zenana School” was established as an informal school in a portion of the private residence of Mian Iftikharuddin – an activist of Pakistan movement and leader in the Muslim League under Quaid-e-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah. Mian Iftikharuddin was also founder of The Pakistan Times.
A fund was established within the family to run the School. The School continued working for several years with 30 plus students and one teacher.
A Managing Committee was established and registered under the Societies Act of XXI of 1860.
The School was registered formally with the name of “Zenana Elementary School” and had 30 students up until class IV.
1929 The name of the School was changed to “Aided Muslim Girls’ School, Baghbanpura”, had 40 students up until Class V.
The number of students had increased to 103 and the Inspector of Schools formally evaluated the School. Her accolades are still stored in the School’s Historical Archives.
After a decade, the School’s name changed to “Islamia Primary School for Girls, Baghbanpura”. By then, there were around 200 students.
Mian Ala-ud-Din was appointed by the Managing Committee to take charge of the School and oversee its operations.
Mrs. Zarina Shamim, daughter of Mian Ala-ud-Din, joined the team to take care of the School.
The School was recognized by the Board of Education as “Islamia Girls’ Middle School”. The School, by then, was a middle school with 400 students.
Mrs. Zarina Shamim was appointed the Secretary / Manager to run the School after the death of her father, Mian Ala-ud-Din.
The School was recognized as “Islamia Girls High School”. The number of students had increased to 700 with 20 staff members.
The School now had 900 students with 27 staff members.
Another branch of the School was opened by the name of “Ala-ud-Din Academy, Girls’ High School”. Ms. Khalida Qureshi was appointed as the Headmistress of the School.
The Government of Pakistan nationalized “Islamia Girls High School”.
“Islamia Girls High School” was denationalized and was now run under the supervision of Samra Mobeen (daughter-in-law of Mrs. Zarina Shamim).
Mrs. Zarina Shamim died on 8th of October 2004. She dedicated almost 50 years of her life, to the academic excellence of “Islamia Girls High School” and “Ala-ud-Din Academy, Girls’ High School”.
Managing Committee appointed Zareen Niazi as the new MC Secretary / Executive Director to run the School operations.
2005 – To date The School is managed under the direction of:
Zareen Niazi (Granddaughter of Mian Ala-ud-Din and daughter of Mrs. Zarina Shamim)
- Rizwana Jalees was appointed as the Principal of the School.
- Computer Technology Center (CTC) was established to promote the use of Information Technology. Rehan Siddiqui was appointed as Director of the Center.
- Study Center was established to help students improve their academics in specific subjects.
- Zarina Shamim Scholarships Program was initiated.
S. Nargis Tahira was appointed as the Vice Principal of the School.
Computer Technology Center (CTC) has been recognized by the Technical Education & Vocational Training Authority (TEVTA) and Pakistan Information Technology Board (PITB)
Website of Zarina Shamim Scholarships Program launched.